Monday, June 1, 2009

Frys went flying, and an orange drink covered his lap

A (good) modern country song's narrative is often so literal, that there isn't much room for "artistic" bullshit in the videos. The lyrics tell you what you gonna see which is why I like them, I don't have time to "figure it out".

One of my favorite examples is this really endearing father-and-son story, "I've Been Watching You" by Rodney Atkins (no relation to bad-ass stud, Trace Adkins). I remember hearing this song on the radio last year and the story resonating with me hard, despite it not really being relate-able. I was pleased to find out that the video does justice to the song and Atkins is really good actor. A lot happens, just in the first verse: car abruptly stops, son spills happy meal in his booster seat, kid says "shit", dad says "whoa whoa, where you learn to talk like that?". Kinda intriguing, right? Where DID he learn to talk like that?


Fuck, I don't get why all the youtube comments are so depressing...maybe I'm mistaken but isn't this an upbeat, feel good song? Youtube comment board is a weird forum to vent about some heavy stuff.

Buffdaddy1403
"this song makes me cry wen i listen to it b/c in Jan.of 07 my dad was in intensive care twice and the doctors said that they didnt know if he was goin to live and they had him on a resporator and he still dont remember anything that happened that month and it was all caused by a blood clot in his jugular vain and it is still there"

suzlbar
"i had a son that watched me and well he went to meet the Lord and i miss him"


God. Fuck. Sad. Nothing funny about those. I like this one though...

Weird0Girl
I love this song!!! The little boy is TOO CUTE!!! It would be awesome to have rondey atkins as my dad, that would be pimpin!!!! It would also be kewl to have the lil boy as my brother


Right on Weirdo Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment