Saturday, July 4, 2009

From the Vault: 7.5/10 review of Chesney's Greatest Hits (aka Fuck you for being so good and not even knowing it.)

It can be said that the origins of Blog for My Horses can be found in a facebook application called Imthemusic, and to celebrate the 4th of July, I thought I'd resuscitate my trailblazing review of Kenny Chesney's 'Greatest Hits' album on BNA Records where it could live on in style--and where people might actually see it and read it. My favorable reviews of contemporary country classics in a forum where most people would either a) give amazing reviews to predictable modern music canon (e.g. Radiohead, Notorious B.I.G., etc.), or b) continue to stroke the dick of recent Pitchfork jizzum fests (e.g. Fleet Foxes, Health, etc.), came across as both controversial and revolutionary. This was before I dawned the hat of my alias, Kevin Costner as Wyatt Earp, as well. Better yet, this review was written just about a year ago to the day.

There's only a small handful of these classic reviews from said website, and I'll post the others here at some point. Until then, sit back, relax, and light some crazy shit on fire and, while I'm currently in the country mecca of Fresno CA, turn up 95.7 The Wolf if you're in the bay area this weekend and pretend we're drinkin' some Jim Beam together.

Full review text:
"Jul 2, 2008 - It pains me that this score can't be higher. But you know what? That's Kenny's own fucking fault. Yes, "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" is on here and the title alone is one of the best song titles ever--let alone the lyrics (exerpt: "Plowing these fields in the hot summer sun/Over by the gate lordy here she comes/With a basket full of chicken and a big cold jug... of sweet tea"). But apparently Kenny thinks that "Keg In the Closet" and "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems" aren't good enough for inclusion on his so-called 'Greatest Hits' compilation.

So you know what Kenny? Fuck you. Fuck you for being so good and not even knowing it. For that, you ain't crackin no 8.0 in *this* trailer park."

Special 4th of July Bonus--the "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" video !!


ps--note the 30 point seal of approval from Imthemusic readers of said review

No comments:

Post a Comment